Phannie

Phannie
Photo taken near Monument Valley, Utah

Sunday, December 4, 2011

I Give Up!

Because I am a patient man, it has taken me a while to arrive at the conclusion that the day/night shades installed in most RVs—including Phannie—are, well, of the devil.  While I would not want any harm to come to the person who invented these things, I believe he needs to be tied up like a prime rib roast with these little strings that are the source of my frustration.  Where would he have gotten the notion that the guide strings, upon which these shades are totally dependent for operation, could possibly be something that would work for more than four days?  And the pleats--getting those to stay in place absolutely requires cuss words, and I've sworn not to swear.   (Or did I just swear then?  I'm not sure.)

Mind you, I think the idea is a good one:  A shade that can be pulled up and down that will afford either translucence for daytime or opaqueness for night.  But the strings—I have had to repair half of them on Phannie already, and I had similar luck with the ones in Homer, her predecessor.  And, as those of you know who have had to repair them, the fix is not exactly easy.  In fact, it is downright sadistic.  If I am to be punished, and I have a choice between repairing a day/night shade and a public flogging, I would just go to the courthouse square, bend over and say, “Bring it on.” 





Well, I’m throwing in the towel.  I have an appointment at MCD in McKinney, Texas next Monday for a retrofit of all the shades in Phannie’s lounge.  From what I’ve read in the blogs, MCD’s design seems unchallenged as the antidote for the demonic day/night shades with strings.  I talked to the folks at MCD several weeks ago and made the appointment.  They were very friendly and helpful on the phone, and they invited me to drive Phannie to their facility Sunday evening and stay the night to be ready for Monday’s design session, so that’s what we intend to do.   We don’t think we’re going to bother with replacing the shades in the bedroom, as we never open them anyway.  Besides, I’m halfway afraid to touch them for fear they, too, will break.

We’ll keep you posted on the progress.   

16 comments:

  1. Oh how we feel you pain. We have one in the bedroom that needs done and we just keep putting it off! We will breakdown one day and get the MCD shades also. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had MCD shades in the front of our motorhome and they were almost the best money we ever spent. We loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't have day/night shades but I sure got a laugh out of your post anyway. (sorry to laugh at your expense, but you did write a great comedy piece!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to go buy string tomorrow. I use fishing line to repair our shades and it works quite well.
    We lost the spool of string and the needle we used, in the fire so have to start fresh.
    Would love to see you guys again. When are you coming down?
    We send big hugs and look forward to reading about the new shades.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We got ours at MCD and love them!
    Especially having cats in the house :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have thin aluminum Venetian blinds. They seem very delicate. At Thanksgiving my 8 and 11 year old grandsons started messing with them (todays kids just can't keep their hands off , I guess they learn that at all these "discovery" museums. In a few short minutes they managed to dent one. It will never be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your writing is most entertaining. My wife has been cursed by the day/night shades. So far, I've not tangled with the enemy but I am sure it will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are with you, we hate them having had to redo four of them. Definitely designed. By idiots or sadist!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for the laugh tonight!..hope the install goes well..and the 'hit on your wallet'..will be so worth the pain and aggravation that the day/night shades have caused!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have a couple shades in the fifth wheel that need help. What is an MCD?

    JC

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess we're lucky then that our Phae came with MCDs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So far, we've only had one string break. Knock on wood. The pleats on that one needed help too, so we just replaced the whole shade rather than restring. Much easier! I have read that the MCD's are wonderful and will be waiting for your critique :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Man! I could barely contain myself and read the rest of your post because I wanted to comment so badly. And not just about those stupid blinds either. (Had the motorhome. Don't have the T-shirt)
    That not so very nice thought has crossed my mind countless times when I'm frustrated by the work of a true "genius" whose neck I'd like to throttle!
    It's probably a good thing I never meet up with an engineer or designer in those instances, since I'd really rather not do the jail time, although I'm sure it would be worth it.
    &%*$%##! Gah!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hear ya! One of the great features of our Heartland Big Country 5'er is that the windows have big, strong Venetian blinds. Otherwise, I'd be with you in the public square!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am SOOOO with you on that one. Stu has restrung two of our blinds, one is on the way to needing it and one just broke completely last night. Grrrr....thinking MCD would be nice (pricey, but nice). LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to know it is not just me! Will have to look into this MCD.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comments and read every one of them. If your Blogger settings allow, I will happily respond.