Phannie

Phannie
Photo taken near Monument Valley, Utah

Monday, July 6, 2015

Lunch With Friends in Colorado Springs

At Colorado Springs KOA...

Dave and Martha Jo are more Texas expat friends of ours who have relocated here, and we were thrilled when they agreed to have lunch with us. 


Sandy and Martha Jo taught gifted children in the Irving, Texas school district before they retired, and Dave is a retired business executive. They are a sweet couple, and we had a great time talking all through lunch and way beyond. What a treat to see them again!

The venue was my choice, a small restaurant named Basil Thai. I found good reviews on Yelp, so I felt pretty confident that we would have a good meal. And we did, sort of; it's just that most everything we had was, well, mediocre. I don't quite understand the high marks of some of the reviewers but, then, I'm awfully picky. If I owned a restaurant, I would hate to have myself as a customer.

Now that we have heard several stories from our friends as to why they relocated here from Texas, we see there is a common theme. They love this picturesque area, and it's too doggone hot in the summertime in Texas. And as I write this post very late in the evening, I notice that the temperature past midnight in Forth Worth is still 84 degrees. A glance at the OAT gauge on Phannie now reveals 68 degrees as the temperature here in Colorado Springs. This could give even a diehard Texan like me impure thoughts about moving. (I said it "could" give me such thoughts; I didn't say it did.) 

After lunch, Sandy and I did a little shopping and went back to Phannie for a much needed nap after all that activity. Dinner was at a tiny Mediterranean diner downtown called Jerusalem CafĂ©. Sadly, it mimicked our lunch meal in its dedication to "average." This bolsters my theory that only about one restaurant in 15 might be worthy of my second visit. Only about one in 30 would get a rating higher than three stars or get a recommendation from me. And only in one in a hundred would any attempt to steal my food be met with gunfire.

Tomorrow will be another fun lunch, this time with longtime friends and fellow bloggers Ed and Marilyn. This his been a great layover for us, and we feel very fortunate to have seen all these fine folks.

Thank you, Lord, for this wonderful life; please forgive me if I do not appreciate it enough each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments and read every one of them. If your Blogger settings allow, I will happily respond.