Phannie

Phannie
Photo taken near Monument Valley, Utah

Monday, August 3, 2015

A Senior Moment, a Sunday Drive and Chinese Food

At Lake Pleasant RV Park, Seattle, Washington...

In putting together the previous post, I had a senior moment--I obviously didn't know where I was. Bill, one of the regular readers, commented (jokingly, I found out later), that he didn't know where Paradise Lake RV Resort is, although he is familiar with this area. I didn't pick up on the fact that he was needling me, good naturedly, about having absent-mindedly misnamed the RV park in which we are currently staying in Seattle!

For quite a long time, I have had the habit of listing our location in a small header at the top of each post. This is because I have read so many RV blogs whose authors fail to do this and, if I see something interesting I would like to know more about, I may have to go back several posts to find out where they are, and sometimes even that isn't successful. For reasons I can't explain, I listed in the header on that post that our location was Paradise Lake RV Resort instead of Lake Pleasant RV Park, its actual name. When Bill gently explained that he was toying with me a bit, the light bulb illuminated. Paradise Lake?! Where did that come from? I corrected it quickly, but thinking all along that I must have dementia...or Alzheimer's or something. Then I settled down, realizing this was probably just a senior moment. Nevertheless, I've started checking the mirror every morning now to see if I know the person whose reflection I see there. 

Since it was a beautiful morning, we decided to drive around the city and get more familiar with it. It wasn't long, of course, until we were hungry, so we took inventory of favorite foods we hadn't been able to have since being on the cruise and came up with Chinese and Mexican. We really didn't feel right about having Mexican food (in this case, Tex-Mex) outside of Texas, as we had never had much success with that. So the choice became Chinese. Since Seattle has a lively Chinatown district, there couldn't be any other choice for a place to look. A quick check of Yelp for Chinatown Restaurants revealed Hue Ky Mi Gia as being a favorite. No, I can't pronounce it, but Sandy hit the "start directions" button and we were led to this nondescript building east of downtown:


When we entered, the room fell almost silent, as we were the only non-Asians there; and soon it became obvious that we were the only patrons who spoke English. These were good signs, I thought. (True foodies are never deterred by such things.)

My instincts were right: We ordered butter garlic fried chicken wings as an appetizer, and these were possibly the best wings ever. Served with a sweet chili sauce on the side, these alone would have been worth the visit:


Next came wonton soup and stir fried vegetables with chicken, pork, shrimp and beef. These were just as good as they look:


Yes, we ate everything (we hadn't had breakfast), and took great satisfaction when the bill arrived:  It was dirt cheap! This restaurant will definitely be added to our favorites list.

After touring the city a bit longer, we decided to stop in at Bakery Nouveau, again highly recommended on Yelp. They specialize in croissants, and we chose a large almond one that had just come out of the oven. I split it with Sandy, and we agreed that it might be the best pastry we ever ate. I don't even have a photo; the croissant was gone before the shutter clicked. This place will also go on the favorites list.

After this, we did a little shopping. The keyboard on my new Dell computer never really suited me, so I picked up a new wireless Logitech keyboard with backlighted keys. I must say, I love this feature. I prefer to write blog posts in reduced light, and the backlight has proved to be very handy; I don't know how I got along without it:


Sandy picked up a pair of shoes at a nearby department store, so we both were happy when we returned to Phannie, except she let it be known that her shoes were on sale while the keyboard wasn't. (I don't stand a chance in such a comparison; she is a professional.)

Thank you, Lord, for this wonderful life; please forgive me if I don't appreciate it enough every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments and read every one of them. If your Blogger settings allow, I will happily respond.