Phannie

Phannie
Photo taken near Monument Valley, Utah

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Enroute to Houston but Still At Home - Sort Of

Driving Phannie On I-45 near Huntsville, Texas...

No, I'm not really posting while driving. We're actually in Rayford Crossing RV Resort near Houston to visit the kids, but I wanted to show you a cool little piece of tech gear, and the location appearing in the header above is relevant to my story. But I'll get to that in a moment.

Now you may think that taking a break from downsizing after only six days of work on the project may be a bit sissified; and, if you were a male, you'd be right. However, if you were a female and knew that our final destination is Canton, Texas to add our presence to the vast Christmas Trade Days engorgement of that little town, you would understand. This annual pilgrimage has, for better or worse (certainly worse for my wallet), become a tradition, championed by Sandy and our daughter Mindy, who often conspire to lure other females (their pal LouAnn will be there) into their nether world of bargain hunting--usually for things they don't need but, oddly, can't live without. Yes, that describes it pretty well, I think, but only until my next attitude adjustment at the hands of these two, wherein I'm sure they'll help me 'get my mind right.' (I'm suddenly reminded of the famous line by Strother Martin to a bloody Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke, "What we have here is failure to communicate." I would watch that movie again just to see that brilliantly acted scene.)

I have decided not to remind Sandy and Mindy that we are in the midst of a d-o-w-n-s-i-z-i-n-g project that would seem incongruous with their breathless obsession with this flea-market feeding frenzy. It will be okay, though; Sandy will buy nothing for herself, but she will see that the kids and grandkids get anything they want. And I wouldn't have it any other way. More on Canton Trade Days later.

What I really wanted to talk about was the little technological marvel that is a Ring video doorbell. I've mentioned this in a previous post along with the photo of it:


What I didn't show you was a shot of the video from the other side of the camera:


Who is this dude, you may ask? Well, he is my gutter guy, with whom I have contracted to replace a bent rain gutter and clean out all the rest (because of all the trees, they get messy, even with leaf guards). He showed up at the house and rang the doorbell, and boy, was he surprised when it began talking to him in my voice. When he pushed the button, it sent a signal to my cell phone and turned on the camera and a duplex voice channel, and I was able to see him and talk to him from 200 miles away, while driving Phannie down the Interstate. I told him we would be back in a week and I would send him a check. He was amazed, but no more than I!

If you have followed this blog for a while, you know how I love gadgets, and this one is doggone cool, in my view. I'm guessing that younger folks who grew up with computers, cell phones, drones and the Internet may not be so ga-ga over these marvels, but I am, and unashamedly so. It is one of the benefits of having lived a long time and remembering well when none of these things existed. 

Now, one last thought: During this little break we're taking, do you suppose I could get some credit for directing by video this work on the house for our fulltiming preparation? Anyone? Just a little credit? It would make me feel less like I'm slacking.

Thank you, Lord, for this wonderful life; please forgive me if I don't appreciate it enough each day.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments and read every one of them. If your Blogger settings allow, I will happily respond.