Phannie

Phannie
Photo taken near Monument Valley, Utah

Saturday, December 5, 2015

Oh, the Places We've Seen!

At Mill Creek Ranch RV Resort, Canton, Texas...

Those who recognize the location above will know its status as the home of the vast east Texas flea market of nationwide fame. I guess there may be a larger one somewhere, but it's hard to imagine where it could be and what it must be like.  

Sandy, Mindy and their gal pal LouAnn are ravaging the countless pavilions of vendors in a quest to see everything in three days. (It's not possible.) While they are attempting this quixotic quest, the three husbands are in a quest to see none of it in three days. (We usually succeed.)

We grilled hot dogs on the Weber Q, and the menfolk took a nap during the girls' absence, unapologetic for our indolence. Left to my own devices for a while, it occurred to me that I could use this time to review some of my favorite photos from our travels. There are so very many, it was hard to choose the best ones, but here's a good sampling, in chronological order:


Garvan Gardens, Hot Springs, Arkansas

Garvan Gardens, Hot Springs, Arkansas

Iconic Musical "Texas" at Palo Duro Canyon, Canyon, Texas

The Window, Big Bend National Park, Texas

Santa Elena Canyon, Big Bend National Park, Texas

Flowers by the sidewalk in Bar Harbor, Maine

Graves of Titanic Passengers, Halifax, Nova Scotia

Quebec City, Canada


Monument Valley, Utah

Monument Valley, Utah

Monument Valley, Utah

Monument Valley, Utah




Japanese Gardens, Fort Worth, Texas




Basilica San Juan del Valle, McAllen, Texas

So many good friends we've made in the RV world

A Unique Mariachi Mass at Basilica San Juan, McAllen, Texas

Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs, Colorado


Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado

The Stanley Hotel, Estes Park, Colorado

Sunset in Estes Park, Colorado

The Portal, Moab, Utah

Arches National Park, Utah

Arches National Park, Utah

Canyonlands National Park, Utah

Monument Valley, Utah

Smoky Mountains, Gatlinburg, Tennessee

Biltmore Mansion in Asheville, North Carolina

Chattanooga, Tennessee










Sunset at Port Isabel, Texas

Sunset at South Padre Island, Texas

Thunderhead at South Padre Island, Texas


Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra, Salt Lake City, Utah

Empire Pass, near Park City, Utah

Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming

Old Faithful, Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming

Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming

Columbia River Gorge near Portland, Oregon

Sawyer Glacier, Alaska

More good friends at Port Orford Bay, Oregon

Crater Lake, Oregon

Rogue River, Oregon

Sequoia National Park, California

Port of Galveston, Texas
As I look at these and remember our experiences on these great RV trips, I cannot help but think how blessed we are to have this luxury here in the greatest nation on earth--in spite of our leaders' attempts to wreck it. Sometimes I have to pinch myself when I consider the beauties of God's creation that we've seen with our own eyes; And to think, there is still so much left that we haven't seen yet!

I also think how fortunate was my inclination to begin this blog at the very start of our RV travels. These memories, at some point, will be all we have when we are forced to hang up the keys.

I'm also grateful that I decided to retire when I did--when I didn't have to--because I wanted to spend quality time with family and friends and travel wherever and whenever I wanted. Most of all, I wanted to have no regrets; I never wanted to be carried from my office with a sheet covering my head.

If you find yourself wondering whether it's time to pull the plug and finally follow your dreams, my advice is to do it if it's even remotely feasible. After all, there will be no sightseeing and no armored car following your hearse to the graveyard.

Thank you, Lord, for this wonderful life; please forgive me if I don't appreciate it enough each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments and read every one of them. If your Blogger settings allow, I will happily respond.